Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Back in the Saddle

This weekend marked the first time I had been out on a ride of longer than 2 hours since Laramie. At some point earlier this year, I had gotten the crazy idea that I wanted to ride my bike out to my in-laws house near Henderson, about 72 miles one way. I had even convinced another crazy soul to do the same. A conflict stopped the other from partaking in this particular ride, but I decided to head out anyway.

The morning started foggy, damp and cold. I left the house at around 7:30 and headed into the wetness with enough food and water to get me to my destination. Once out of Lincoln, I really enjoyed the quiet, just me and my music. And some animals, but they didn't respond when I initiated conversation.

Did I mention that I hadn't done a long ride for three months? About 30 miles in, I thought sure that both quads would lock up and I would be laying next to my bicycle in the middle of O Street writhing in pain. That didn't happen, but it definitely slowed me down and the next 26 miles weren't much fun. I did lay down next to my bicycle in the middle of O Street a couple times; but luckily I was just stretching.

For those paying attention 30+26 does not equal 72. I called in the reinforcements at York. I'd had enough fun for one day.


By the way, did you know that O Street is the longest main street in the US at 59 miles long? I saw the western terminus about 9 miles west of York. Trivia!!!

The El Mariachi needs some TLC. The damp air combined with the dirt from the roads turned my drivetrain into a squeaky mess. Also, ever since the Laramie race, my rear disk brake has been out of adjustment due to pad wear. Time to take her in to the World Headquarters for a tune.

1 comment:

Harp said...

I'd join you on that ride again sometime. I got an itch to take the Jamacia North/Homestead Trail all the way to Beatrice and Back sometime.