This year, the plan is to attack the course with a three person team minimum. In the past this race has been run at Area 1 and has been an overnight race, from 6 pm to 6 am, which is a really fun and interesting time to be riding bikes. Apparently, the promoters thought the race needed a shakeup because this year the race is being held from 10 am to 10 pm at Area 7. To me, this has both advantages and disadvantages.
- No need to procure expensive light systems to race all night. We will only be racing the final hour or two in the dusk/dark.
- Won't throw off sleep schedules and generally consume two days of the three day Memorial Day weekend.
- Easier for friends and family to come out and enjoy the race.
- Since the race is during the daytime, some of the shenanigans that happen when you put a bunch of wacky mountain bikers together in the middle of the night won't be happening during the cruel light of day.
- Since the race is during the daytime, some of the shenanigans that happen when you put a bunch of wacky mountain bikers together in the middle of the night won't be happening during the cruel light of day. This one cuts both ways.
- I am not nearly as big a fan of the Area 7 trails as I am of Area 1. Area 1 is a much more established (i.e. smoother) trail that I am super familiar with. Area 7 is relatively new and therefore bumpy.
- Part of the fun of doing this race was the crazy looks people gave when told that not only was I doing a 12 hour mountain bike race, but that the chosen 12 hours encompassed the entire night.
- Not really a con, but now that I won't be "required" to buy an expensive light system, I will have to find another way to stimulate the economy with my tax rebate.
Tom posted his pictures from Saturday. He does a great job of documenting the race. Here are some of his shots.
Early in the first lap before I lost contact with the leaders.
I don't think he was impressed.
oooooh, that stings!
Race number one in the rearview, time to look forward to whats ahead. I can't wait to get back out there.
Pic inspired by MG.